Vestibular and Balance Rehabilitation
Balance problems are among the most common reasons that older adults seek help from a doctor. Good balance is important to help you get around, stay independent, and carry out daily activities. People are more likely to have problems with balance as they get older and are one reason older people fall. However, not all balance problems occur in older people. Some balance disorders are caused by problems in the inner ear. The part of the inner ear that is responsible for balance is the vestibular system. Other medical conditions, visual problems, joint pain, and muscle weakness will all contribute to balance issues.
How can your physiotherapist help you with your balance?
Physiotherapists at Barrington Health Physiotherapy can assess and treat disorders related to the vestibular system. All physiotherapists can assess strength and balance and prescribe exercises.
What to Expect
The physiotherapist will:
- Question you about your symptoms.
- Perform an in-depth assessment of your vestibular system. This involves assessment of eye and head movement.
- Assess your mobility and balance.
- Assess muscle strength and joint movement.
The physiotherapist will discuss the findings with you and formulate a treatment plan.
What will treatment involve?
Treatment will depend upon the assessment findings but may include:
- Exercises for the vestibular system
- Balance exercises
- The physiotherapist will prescribe exercises and reassess your progress from time to time to progress your programme.